Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, December 29, 2011

And to Drink... PERU.....!

Beer#19 Cusqueña/ Backus and Johnston, Lima, Peru
The title of this post comes from a scene from the absolutely classic film Better Off Dead, where the dingbat mom runs down the dinner menu for their French exchange student using her best/worst accent, "..Fronch fries and Fronch dressing and Fronch bread...and to drink.. Peru!" 


So let's have some Peru to drink, shall we?  We're heading straight to the Southern Hemisphere for today's beer, amigos.

When I sample the beer for the day, I like to jot down a few notes which I can expand on later.  Simple shorthand to get some of the key points down before I start blogging in earnest or writing about my day or what music I'm listening to.  I then head to the web to learn more about the beer/brewery.  Here are my first notes on Cusqueña:  "Basic, clean flavor, not very complex.  The Miller Genuine Draft of Peru?  Fun 11.2oz bottle."

When I went to the web to learn more, it turns out Cusqueña sort of is the MGD of Peru, as this brewery is owned by SABMiller, the British company that owns/produces... Miller beer.  Hey, more M&A in the beer world!  I guess this is a good thing, as without that global reach, would I really be drinking a beer from Peru?  The beer itself dates back to the turn of the 20th century, when it was originally produced by the Cervecerìa Cusqueña in the town of Cusco.  That brewery was bought by Backus and Johnston years back - their completely non-Peruvian brewery name comes from two German settlers who started a brewery in Peru in 1879.  A rich and interesting history, but I wish the beer had a bit more to offer than 'fun 11.2oz bottle'.

Thing to Think About Today:
Have been spending a lot of time lately on a project for a client in Chicago, and will be spending every waking hour over the next two weeks focused on wrapping it up.  There are a million great things about the Windy City, but the next time you're in town and looking for brunch, be sure to hit Wishbone for an amazing meal.  Two locations, fantastic food, great atmosphere.  Don't get there too early though: they can't start serving Bloody Marys until after 11am on Sunday.  Stupid rules. 

Bonus and totally related thing to think about when in Chicago: Marci believes one of the best Bloody Mary she's ever had came from the outdoor Park Cafe restaurant in Grant Park.  Keep this in mind, as she takes her Bloody Marys seriously.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it was the best Bloody Mary, I know it was. It had a freakin' salad as garnishes! A pickled green bean...now that's just showing off, Park Cafe! Take me back to Chicago, damnit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually go to a Peruvuan restaurant in BFE, CA and have Cusqueña every time I'm there....I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete