Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, January 29, 2012

1) Rap cover of Whitesnake 2) ????? 3) Profit

Beer #50 Bluebird Bitter / Coniston Brewing Company, Coniston, England
Lately, I've been fascinated with musicians covering songs, but performing them in other genres.  One, I think it's interesting to see how songs get interpreted, and two, I HAD THIS IDEA YEARS AGO.  You're probably familiar with Ben Folds covering Bitches Ain't Shit, for example.  I've previously encouraged you to think about some dude covering Boyz N The Hood.  Awesome and unique and hilarious, all at the same time, right?

While there are some famous versions of people dabbling in covers, I want to take this to the next level: I want to form a band and perform NOTHING but covers from a different genre.  One possible direction is to give the acoustic guitar treatment to some famous rap songs.  First three I think we need are California Love by Tupac, It's Tricky by Run-DMC, and O.P.P. by Naughty by Nature (I'll also allow Hip Hop Hooray).  The other direction is the one (so far) less traveled:  rap covers of 80's hair metal.  I think that's a niche where we can be first to market.  Maybe one set of each per show?  I don't know yet, this is still just a concept I'm working on.

So now we now come to the problem: I have no musical talent whatsoever.  None.  My contribution will be either knowing the lyrics to every relevant rap song from 1986-1996 or I'm happy to serve as MC on rap covers of power ballads.  I think I can handle that.  Therefore, I need musicians to actually, you know, perform the music.  This is where you come in, blog readers.  You have musical talent, I have a vision.  Let's do this.

And now you know my master plan for future success.  While daydreaming about my upcoming performance at the Grammy awards, I like to drink beer.  Today's beer comes from Coniston, an English brewery.  I've had this on draft previously at Teresa's Next Door, but I spotted a bottle during my field trip to Total Wine yesterday.  This is a traditional bitter, and pours amber with a foamy head.  Nice orange aroma, with a biscuit/bread flavor and floral notes (maybe lavender?) along the way.  Yes, the beer style is called "bitter", but that's actually not a dominant flavor.  What surprised me most was the 3.6% ABV - the flavor suggests a stronger beer.  A very easy drinking, very tasty beer.  Cheers, mate!



Thing to Think About Today:
Clearly, you need some additional examples before you get on board with my plan for sure stardom.  I hereby present to you a Ukranian polka band + Katy Perry.  THIS COULD BE US, PEOPLE!


And yes, I have this mp3 on the iPod.  You knew I did, though.  We fight, we break up/We kiss, we make up.

No comments:

Post a Comment