Breweries "Visited"

Friday, January 27, 2012

Docther? Doctor. Doctor? Dochter.

Beer #48 Belle-Fleur / Brouwerij De Dochter van de Korenaar, Baarle-Hertog, Belgium
Two days in the office, two days on the road, one day in State College.  Not a bad way to spend a week, and even better - it's over.  Someone asked me what our weekend plans were, and I had to pause.  Think... think... nope.  Nothing, nada.  How good does it feel to not have anything planned this weekend?  This is conducive to drinking beer, I'd say.

For today, I'm going with an IPA from De Dochter,  newcomer in the Belgian beer world. An odd website - half of it is in English, half in Dutch.  Dutchlish?  Anyway, this beer pours with a foamy head, and has a cloudy gold color.  The hop flavor dominates the beer, with a taste of bread along the way.  It finishes dry, some light hints of grass and lemon.  Good find, and I recommend you try if you want a beer that balances the hop flavor without cramming it down your throat.

Nice....
One of my dreams in life is to be multi-lingual.  I'm barely competent at English, so it's a long shot, but at some point I hope to be able to speak another language.  I'm thinking that this beer adventure may help; I've been spending a lot of time on Belgian brewery websites, and I think I'm starting to learn some Dutch.  I mean, at least I thought I was getting the hang of Dutch, but today's brewery (that's "brouwerij" to us fluent in Dutch) threw me off.  I was certain the translation of this brewery's name was "Doctor..."and I was getting all sorts of doctor jokes and puns queued up.  Such as this great scene from Spies Like Us:


But then, I come to find out the name of this brewery translates into "the daughter of the ear of corn."  WHAAT?  I have no daughter of the ear of corn jokes at the moment, and nothing for you to think about in that genre.

Thing to Think About Today:
Therefore, we'll stick with my original plan, and highlight one of the most transcendent basketball players ever, Julius Erving.  Or as we know him, Dr. J.  The Doctor was my first favorite basketball player, and might still own that title.  He helped revolutionize the game, and always seemed to be a highlight waiting to happen.  With the Sixers enjoying some success again this year, the thing to think about is this:

How the Sixers only won one title with Doc running the court, I have no idea.

3 comments:

  1. One of my favorite Chevy Chase/Dan Akroyd moments...love that movie. But more importantly, how the hell did you get a DP Dough beer glass? God knows I've put enough of those down to have earned one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo, let's just say I "borrowed" it one night from the counter at DP Dough. If I ever need to evacuate my house, it's one of the top ten things I'm grabbing on my way out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever have a chance to borrow another one it would look great on DP Mo's beer glass shelf. No kegorator would be complete without it.

    ReplyDelete