Breweries "Visited"

Monday, February 20, 2012

Chocolate Beer + Chocolate Thunder = Interplanetary Funkmanship

Beer #72 Scratch 57 / Troegs Brewing Company, Hershey, PA

Spent the day off.... at work.  Oddly enough, and I admit this is odd, I sort of like going to the office on days off (in small doses).  I actually get work done because the phone doesn't ring, I have no meetings, and no one wants to talk to me.  I derive a measure of satisfaction from being productive, and 5 hours in the office today let me get there.  The afternoon was spent with the dogs, some chores, a workout, and.... wait for it.... beer!

Today's beer comes courtesy of a gift from a friend, who was kind enough to bestow on us a six-pack of Troegs Scratch 57, a weizenbock.  The Scratch Series is a Troegs experiment in small batch brewing, allowing them to make some really unique offerings in addition to the regular lineup.  To me, this is the essence of craft brewing - taking a risk, trying something unusual and different, being creative.

The 57 is a dark amber color in the glass, and has a sweet malt aroma on the nose.  The taste has rich cocoa notes, with hints of fruit sweetness.  It's dry with a bit of bitterness on the finish.  A bit too much of a roasted, chocolate taste for me to put in the regular rotation, but the emergence of bock beers on the shelf and on draft is definitely a positive sign that spring is coming soon.  Which is odd, as winter hasn't yet arrived here in the Philly 'burbs.  If you can find it, definitely try one.

Thing to Think About Today:
If we're drinking a chocolate beer brewed with cocoa, made by a brewery in Hershey, the chocolate capital of the world, then we might as well continue with the theme and think about the man they called "Chocolate Thunder," Mr. Darryl Dawkins.

If this man asks for a beer, I'd give him one.
Dawkins was a powerful, athletic player who jumped to the Philadelphia 76ers of the NBA right out of high school and had, shall we say, a bit of a unique personality.  He was fond of giving his dunks absurd names, and claimed to hail from Planet Lovetron, where he practiced "interplanetary funkmanship."  He never quite lived up the billing of a high draft pick, but he's still a fan favorite for those who recall the glory days of the Sixers franchise (like me). 


If anyone needs me, I'll be spending the remainder of my evening drinking beers on Planet Lovetron and adding Interplanetary Funkmanship to the degrees earned section of my resume.

3 comments:

  1. Really wish you could've tried the cocoa porter they made. I think it was Scratch #55 or #54.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is Nugget Nectar distribution day!

    Really wish Chris would have made me/us aware of your experiment before today.

    Is Troeg's operation in Hershey now fully operational? I was hoping to stop by over the holidays while visiting family, but they kept delaying due. Nugget Nectar production was delayed a bit from the SNAFU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, Blackbeard. Never to late to find us and our little beer adventure.

    ReplyDelete