Breweries "Visited"

Monday, November 18, 2013

I Don't Want Lunch, I Want Breakfast

Day #709 Worthington's White Shield / William Worthington's Brewery, Burton Upon Trent, England
Previously from this brewery: Red Shield and Red Shield

Raise your hand if you came here tonight to hear me complain.


I can't see you, because you're reading this on the internet, but I'll just assume that you have your hand raised.

Today was an unmitigated disaster on many fronts - and it's not over yet.  The one bit of news that I'll share is that I've learned my car needs a new transmission, and this will run me much more than I care to spend. As I've already replaced the problematic transmission part before, I'm currently in negotiations (read: getting ready to scream) with General Motors to have them pay for the repairs.  And the cost of my bitchin' Hyundai rental car. I'll keep you posted.  Or, just open your window... you might be able to hear my cursing and yelling from your house.  Dammit.

Tonight's beer is another old one from the beer collection, a bottle of Worthington's White Shield.  I have no idea where this bottle came from or when it was acquired, but the label suggests that it is bottle conditioned, and can be aged for up to three years.  Good, as it was in the fridge for a while.  In the glass, this beer has a bright, clear copper hue with a lingering creamy white top.  Very good looking beer.  There are aromas of biscuits and bread and sweet malt, and there's a nice flavor mix of caramel, toffee, and bread, with a touch of hop bitterness on the finish.  This is a British made India Pale Ale, so there's not the hop overkill that you find in American made IPAs.  A rather tasty beer, I'd say, almost more like an ESB than an India Pale Ale.

I'm not entirely sure who brews this one; I've seen references to William Worthington's Brewery, Museum Brewing, and White Shield Brewery.  Ultimately, no matter what you call this brewery, it's owned by corporate giant MolsonCoors, purveyor of crappy beers and big profits.

Thing to Think About Today:
Whenever customer service doesn't live up to their end of the bargain, I reflect back on an old scene from the movie Falling Down, where Michael Douglas' character goes off the deep end a tiny bit when he finds out that he missed breakfast at his favorite fast food location.  He just wants some breakfast.

I can appreciate that.  I just want a car that works, General Motors.  That's all.  The customer is always right.....

"I don't want to be your buddy, Rick.  I just want a little breakfast."

No comments:

Post a Comment